View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question LES

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Absolutely, for the older fans, The Dance was hugely nostalgic. But it was at least the original writers/singers of those songs who were playing them on The Dance tour. That wasn't the case with the Time lineup tour. They were new people with talents of their own and they were still singing the same old songs for most of their set. I think that situation was at the crux of Lindsey's comment.

It wasn't that the Time album lineup was somehow nostalgic in and of itself. Not at all. It was that no matter what new infusion of blood and energy was put into the band for Time, when that lineup hit the road, they were still doing mostly Rumours-era material. Mick (and John?) didn't seem quite able to let their new members be themselves. Having all of these new faces still doing the old songs created the impression of them as almost being a cover band of their own material.

I think that's why Lindsey originally thought Dave Mason's joining could be a good thing. Maybe he thought Dave was a strong enough personality (and musician) to sort of push Mick over the hump of just retreading Rumours out on the road. That didn't appear to happen as much as one could have hoped, so that could explain the last part of Lindsey's comment.

I guess there have been rumors that Christine and Dave Mason weren't exactly buddies. If Lindsey heard those rumors, I suppose that could be part of Lindsey's latter comment too. Just a thought.
Yeah I do agree with what LB had said and (most likely) thought on all of this (as you're right that we did/do have to do some "guessing" there at best) and I really did wish that the BTM/Time members were allowed to do new things but I guess if the "same old" songs ARE to be performed, I actually almost prefer to hear the other members do the other lineups/members songs, just sounds a little different, mixes it up a little, y'know? something "out of the ordinary", maybe that's why I think of "The dance" as "more" nostalgic as it IS the original musicians playing those songs again, you KNOW what it's going to sound like, there's no (or well, very little) surprises etc. or anything. Now, I am a fan and I'm not saying any of the new BN era stuff is "bad" or anything, it's just to me personally "given the choice" (kind of thing)... like for instance same could be said for when BN joined in '75, I LOVED hearing the 1975 shows because we heard BN do a great job on Green/Kirwan/Welch etc. songs but eh that's just me I guess in how I personally feel about the "nostalgic" thing.

John