View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

B24/7

Music: Interview: Sari Schorr
https://www.bristol247.com/culture/m...w-sari-schorr/

Sari Schorr’s debut album A Force of Nature was produced by Mike Vernon whose credits include Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall & the Blues Breakers, David Bowie, Savoy Brown, Chicken Shack, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Christine McVie and Ten Years After; Sari Schorr’s band the Engine Room includes Innes Sibun (former Robert Plant guitarist); Sari Schorr is a marathon runner, animal rights activist and aspiring vegan; Sari Schorr currently lives in Brooklyn, New York with her husband and rescued pit bull triplets; Sari Schorr is playing the Lantern on Thursday 16th March as part of the Blues and Jazz festival; Sari Schorr is the latest artist to submit to the vinyl enquirer.

What was the first record you ever bought and where did you buy it?

It was Led Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti. I bought it at my favourite grungy record store in New York. I was such a good customer, the owner let me run a tab and pay when I had saved up enough money.

What was the most recent record you bought and where did you buy it?

I bought Phoebe Snow’s Something Real last night. My manager mention Phoebe and it made me long for her voice. I was fortunate enough to have known Phoebe. She was a beautiful soul. I have many of her albums back in NY. I bought this one for the second time on iTunes.

What record do you stick on the deck to sooth your soul?

I always keep Billie Holiday nearby. The melancholy soulfulness of her voice grounds and soothes me.

Have you bought a record on the basis of a great single and then been disappointed by the rest of the album? If so, tell us all about it…

For me, Guns N’ Roses’ Chinese Democracy fell short and felt fragmented. But, to be fair, making a great album is a monumental task, even for a legendary band. So, the occasional run off the rails far outweighs the rewards when those brilliant albums do get made.

What record do you turn up to maximum to get in to that party mood?

King King Live – the first ever live album from the band. I love this album because it really captures the raw, intense energy of this great band.

If we had the ability to land you at the recording of one classic LP so you could witness the whole recording process, what would you choose and why?

I’d take a ride in a time machine back to 1968. I’d sneak into the studio with Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Jeremy Spencer and their producer Mike Vernon to witness history in the making as they recorded Fleetwood Mac. Having spent a lot of time in the studio with Mike, I’d love to see him work his magic with Fleetwood Mac during those very first recordings they ever did together. It must have been amazing.

Ever bought a record solely because you liked the sleeve? If so, what was it and did it delight you or disappoint you?

I do it all the time. If a cover speaks to me, I’ll take a leap of faith because I’m always on the lookout for something interesting. I discovered Wilco when the cover of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot appealed to me.

Oh no, your house is burning down and you can only rescue one record! What would it be and why?

Led Zeppelin, The Complete Studio Recordings, even if that’s cheating a bit. This innovative band really inspired me and influenced my song writing. Not to mention, Robert Plant is one of my favourite singers of all times.

What’s your favourite record sleeve? Tell us all about it (and whether or not the music gives you as much pleasure as the sleeve).

The iconic cover of Pink Floyd’s, Dark Side of the Moon by Storm Thorgerson. It’s one of my favourites because of it of its minimalist design and thought provoking image. The triangle symbolizes thought and ambition. It is a piece of music art history.

Morbidity alert: what record would you like played at your funeral?

I’ll stay with Pink Floyd here and say The Great Gig in the Sky, what else could it be?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood