View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
In a VERY similar vein, Rumours does not sound like the Fleetwood Mac that fans of the band from the get-go are familiar with...hell, even Then Play On didn't sound like the Fleetwood Mac fans were familiar with at the time, either...the band was all about "change"...change in personnel, change in sound.

Fleetwood Mac was damned lucky that there was an audience for the namby-pamby soft-rock bull**** sound that they struck multi-platinum with, since there were a whole lot of their core fanbase back in 1975 who jumped ship BECAUSE of Buckingham Nicks. And, if you REALLY listen to Time with a totally open mind, it sounds MORE like the 1975 album than "most fans" would really admit to...most fans distaste of Time is due to personnel issues than the actual "sound" of the band. The "expectation" was WHO was in the band, not WHAT the band sounded like.

I condemn Fleetwood Mac for their 1997 "reunion"...they became a nostalgia act from that moment and just should've packed it in after The Dance tour.

Fleetwood Mac is dead
Long live Fleetwood Mac
I agree that if you were a fan before Buckingham/Nicks joined or for that fact, before Christine even joined, the change would be massive.
I have always listened to Time with an open mind. You compare the 1975 album with it, but to me, the 1975 album sounded like it fit together as an album, where Time felt like Bekka and Billy already a duo, Christine putting in the best songs she had at the time, and Dave Mason fitting nowhere at all.
When I bought Time, I already knew Stevie would not be on it. Of course Lindsey had left years before. I mainly bought it for Christine and Billy. So I had no major expectations of what the album would be like, but many other people did.
I also feel Fleetwood Mac kind of 'sold out' by doing The Dance tour and even Unleashed tour. They have let themselves sail on their former sucesses.