View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You talked about the triumph of Lindsey debuting the new arrangements of Big Love (and Go Insane) for his solo show. I wish he'd done more of that. We have outtakes here and there, with Gift of Screws and with the FM album releases we have gotten. But we haven't had the chance to track transformations in his solo work as much as I would like, because they would reveal, what I would like to perceive as, the transformations in him.
I don't think this is quite what you're talking about, but it reminded me: I don't know this for certain, but I have to imagine that even the Dance version of Say You Love Me was primarily his engineering. I loved how that came off, and that's what I always wished the band would do when they went out on these tours with no new material to support. If you're going to trot out the old catalogue, sure, give us a few in their unadulterated form, but throw in a few curveballs too. Recreate the AHI acoustic "Gypsy" with a guitar tech and John on acoustic bass.

The Dance originally being planned as an MTV Unplugged seemed to force the band to try new things, a few of which made it to the surface. Unfortunately, it never really happened again. But Lindsey's done this a few times: Trouble, Big Love, Go Insane... you could even make the argument he does it with Never Going Back Again in a strange way. Go back and watch them perform it on "Live in Boston" vs. what he was doing at later Mac/solo shows. Quite a transformation.