Thread: Vocalists
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love the way you think. But I don't think Stevie and Christine are the strongest singers. They are my favs... They've both written beautiful works.. but the best?

Bekka, Dave and Jeremy were extremely strong singers.
The original post was about the "best" singers, which I'm reading as different than "strong" or "weak." If we're going on vocal strength, Dave Walker, Bekka Bramlett, Dave Mason, and Lindsey are pretty much the top of my list.

Christine is among the least strong vocalists in the group: she needs a mic, doesn't always project. But her voice is truly distinctive. Two notes and you know it's her. Same with Stevie--in an entirely different way. What's more, Christine is able to get maximum expressiveness out of a limited range. Compare that to Dave Walker or Bekka Bramlett--both great belters but whose vocal palettes are restricted to one or two colors.

Danny is a weak but pleasant singer with a lovely little voice that fits well in the context of his own songs. Bob Welch was nasal but so sophisticated in his sense of phrasing and timing. Many of the Mac singers have one thing in common: they accomplished a lot despite their limitations.