View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Oh, it could change on any day of the week, but most days, it would probably be "Sara" or "What Makes You Think You're the One."

"Sara," to me, is one of the best examples of the FM groove. They play so well together on that song, and it just feels right. I love the double-tracked piano, each one panned to opposite sides of the stereo spectrum. If I'm not mistaken, there's not a single cymbal crash on that song, which is very unusual for a hit pop/rock song. The layered vocals, guitars, and keyboards are lovely.

Back in the early days of MTV, they used to play the live version of "Sara." I have to admit, I wasn't much of an FM fan back then [I got better!], but I always liked "Sara."

"What Makes You Think You're the One," on the other hand, is wonderfully random. It almost feels more like a jam or rehearsal than a final take. I smile every time I hear Lindsey sing, "And it won't last forever...!" The way he twists the pitch upward as he sings "won't" is hilarious...like someone stepped on his foot or hit him with a jolt of electricity...! It's just a fun, exuberant song.

matt