View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Now see, this was not my experience when I was a teen in the late 80's. I listened to WKHQ in northern Michigan, and I'd be lucky to hear the same song twice on the same day. It was so rare - and if you requested something they already played that day they'd tell you they couldn't play it again because they already played it. That's how I remember radio - full of literally hundreds of tunes from hundreds of artists.You could listen all day and never hear a repeat. Even the most popular songs of the day were not repeated - there were too many other songs to play. I would hear Madonna, Aerosmith, Pebbles, Gloria Estefan, Pat Benatar, Swing Out Sister, Anita Baker and Love And Rockets all on the same radio station which is something that would never, ever happen today because those artists are in different genres. These days, the variety is gone and people who should be all over the radio are total unknowns in the music world outside of their small, alternative fan bases. That's my experience.
On weekends one of my local radio stations re-broadcasts American Top 40 with Casey Kasem, the eighties one day and the seventies the next. The diversity you find in those charts is amazing; every kind of music is represented. Now it seems "Top 40" is its own genre, and only a very narrow range of music fits into it.