View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Overrated (though great songs):
1. Everywhere: Nice but bland. Love the version from The Dance though.
2. Big Love: In any of its forms
3. Dreams: Great song, but their only #1? I'd take any of her witchy material over this one.
4. Second Hand News- Just never got the fuss over this one when Monday Morning and Blue Letter are similar but better in every way
5. Hold Me: Not a bad song at all, but it never grabbed me the way it does for others. Not too crazy about the lyrics (slip inside my glove) or their vocal blend . Controversially, I'd rather listen to the rougher '82 live version with the obnoxious "Holllllld meeee YEAH"s.

Underrated:
1. Isn't It Midnight: Should be a staple Christine song. Scorching guitar solo, strong vocals, great arrangement both live and in the studio. God knows why this wasn't put ahead of Family Man as a single.
2. Any of Stevie's non-Landslide 70s ballads: Storms, Beautiful Child, and Crystal are all beautiful in every possible way. They get praised around here for sure but nothing is enough.
3. Never Forget: Just a really nice song that nobody seems to mention. Those harmonies man. Honey Hi can get lumped in here as well for the same reasons.
4. Warm Ways: WHY does everyone hate this song?! It's sooooo mid-70's. The production is so lush and soothing and her vocal is natural and perfect. It doesn't have a ton of meat to it but the same can be said to other songs of hers like Only Over You. I may use it to go to sleep to, but its a beautiful sleeping aid if nothing else.
5. Caroline and Tango in the Night. They both have problems, especially in the lyrics department, but the music for them is awesome. Very different arrangements and dark tones helps diversifies the Fleetwood Mac sound in a good way.
6. [Bonus] Any of Christine's TIME songs. Sooner or Later, All Over Again, and especially Nights in Estoril are some of my favorites by her OVERALL.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)