View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Getting back to the thread title, I’d say it’s 50/50. Lindsey was the one the band originally wanted because they could hear in his playing something that persists even to this day, a palpable, tense energy and creativity wrapped in a concise and potentially commercial package. We all know what he’s done—and could still do— for the FM sound.

But for all of that (and that is a lot) it’s Stevie's voice and presence that lured people in. I admit it: “Gypsy” put a spell on me, and though it was LB who transformed the song from a mere scrap of a demo into a full and unique orchestration, it was SN whose flash and charisma originally attracted my attention.

Once I was hooked on the band, I quickly assessed the reality: that SN needs LB more musically than he needs her. At the same time, SN’s celebrity (which is now a weapon) is so strong, the band’s continued popularity (as opposed to musical accomplishment) is tied to it.
Stevie's fantasy about her life and her "toxic garden" has now become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm sure that Tom Petty sensed this about her which is why, despite her continual pleas, he refused to let her join his band. Sadly, Fleetwood Mac became ensnared in this double-edged sword that ended up stunting their growth musically, eventually delivering a fatal blow to the band's legacy.