View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just finished listening to the live album...

In one word: Refreshing.

Out of all the deluxe editions, this is the first one where I am truly experiencing "new" material. The live album has such a raw energy and excitement to it. I always thought that, if I could go back in time, the Tusk tour is the point in the band's history I would want to have witnessed; however, I now wish that I was alive and of age to have seen the "new" lineup in 1975. What amazes me about the live album is it gives such a clear idea as to the state FM during this moment: new songs, a sense of expanding the sonics of the band, the pride that the three Brits have in showing off the new talent from America, and a general lack of restraint (unlike the very polished performances that would only increase as the band became more popular). It is also touching to hear how Christine was really the band leader at this point. I would argue that the leader role was quickly taken over by Lindsey, most likely with no complaints from Christine. However, in 1975, Christine was the "face" of Fleetwood Mac and it was her material that really defined the sound of the band. This concert, to me, represents Christine "showing the way" for the talents of Stevie and Lindsey to be unleashed for the future. It is also so incredible to hear "Rhiannon," "Landslide, " Over My Head," "I'm So Afraid," and "World Turning" as new songs. This is without a doubt (no doubt at all) the best recorded version of "Rhiannon" we have; Stevie is really selling it and giving the audience no doubt that she belongs in this band. Lindsey's guitar playing is much more sporadic than in future tours; however, this concert hints at the true rock and roll performer and "guitarist supreme" he would become. John and Mick are incredibly tight on this recording. All of the live recordings with these deluxe editions have allowed for me to have a greater appreciation for John McVie's playing...the man is a master of his craft. And Christine...her piano and keyboard playing are stunning throughout this entire live set. As a piano player myself, I have always been drawn to Christine's work. This live recording has elevated my respect for her musicianship; the blues energy she gives in "Get Like You Used To Be," the rhythmic playing she provides in "Rhiannon," and the last minute of "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love" prove just how sophisticated and intelligent Christine McVie is as a keyboardist/pianist (not to mention her vocals throughout).

The live album is worth the price of admission here. Though I love the work on Rumours and beyond, it is nice to listen to this band without the mainstays that have so dominated their shows since 1975. Hearing the band play pre-Buckingham/Nicks material has allowed for me to focus on the actual playing that this band is capable of. I will no doubt be returning to the live set quite often.

Last edited by Andy Man; 02-16-2018 at 02:04 PM..