View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

Interestingly this is the only 1972 boot I'm aware of where you can clearly hear Mac introduced as they take the stage.

"Homeward Bound" starts with the thump-thump-thump -thump of Mick Fleetwood's drums before a voice announces "Ladies and gentlemen, here they are... FLEETWOOD MAC!" and the band surges into the song.

Most other shows from this period of course feature "TMATTYD", introduced with the riff from "Danny's Chat" without an introduction of this sort.

Have thought this "new" introduction might indicate an increased live popularity that came as the '72 tour progressed. I'd say most of the surviving '72 shows (especially the Paramount boot) depict a rocking and crowd-pleasing band with some pedigree putting on what must have been a good show. Would make sense their stock would have increased if they'd kept up such a reputation as they toured during the year.

However, it's apparent that some of the '72 boots reveal an occasionally inconsistent band in places. Danny evidently did jeopardize the band's repuation with his behaviour and performances-- exemplified by some of his erratic, careless and over-the-top lead guitar soloing on "Future Games" that are evident from some of these '72 boots.

Strangely I think he's usually quite solid on his own songs...was he perhaps already a bit angry with the band?

Dreadful to think that if Danny had kept his head and playing together, Mac's later breakthrough might have come far sooner... and included him.