View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I will drive to Dayton Ohio and slap you. Let's not get carried away. I'd mention Joni Mitchell in the same breath as Bob Dylan. Stevie Nicks. ummmmmm yeahhhhhhhhhhh.... no.....
And I think he was only flagging it. As if to say, "did you mean to do that? Because there is a continuity problem." I do agree she got bent because of her ego. And it continues to bother her inflated ego.
Agreed, lyrically she is no Dylan or Mitchell.

She is herself but herself is not as far-reaching or universal as either of those folk giants. She has a unique poetic sensibility that serves her ambition to present her experiences on a quasi-mythical plane, but she lacks both a certain objectivity and the kind of penetrating intelligence that would lift her lyrics from poetic personal history to genuine poetry. Still, for Stevie's purposes, her lyrics are fine. And her rules are her own.

When I first watched that scene from Destiny Rules, I definitely got the sense that Lindsey was baiting her, poking the bear, knowing that she would be protective of her words because, to her, those words and the rather iconoclastic ways she uses them, mean something serious and special. On the surface, it looks like he was just doing what any producer does--going over the odd shifts shifts in grammar and voice that occur in "Throw Down." But I got the feeling he knew how she'd react and that is why he pressed the point. When she defended her decision to shift voice from "I" to "you" he said something about that not following rules of good writing. He was provoking her.

It was entertaining, certainly. Fans love Lindsey-Stevie drama. But it wasn't neutral or innocent.