View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I checked Madnessfades.net & didn't see any commentary by the composer, & I don't remember anything else offhand. Some fans group this song -- I guess thematically -- with Not That Funny. Two sides of a coin, I guess. I think it has more in common with Save Me a Place in terms of pleading quality, tunefulness & warmth, despite the difference in tempo (which in itself creates varied emotional response). IKINW doesn't have that severely abrasive quality lyrically or musically, which is the essence of NTF. In the latter, the repetitive moving from tonic to subdominant & then from subdominant to dominant makes me think "pushing & shoving," emphasized by the deliberately unbeautiful vocal. But IKINW is more searching & yearning in its chord progression & in the temporal chord values: the chord changes seem to me to be engaging in a dialectic with the lyrics & the pretty melody line of the vocal. Fleetwood Mac rehearsed it in 1979 but I never had a concert recording of it from that time. It may have been tried at some point on tour, possibly in Europe (like That's Enough for Me), but I haven't found a record of it. (I've learned never to second-guess the Tusk tour.) As you probably know, Fleetwood did it live in 2004, but by that time, the band was no longer a chamber ensemble. It was a committee.
It was done better on Lindseys tour with just the four guys. I thought it was 10 times better.