View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Agreed with this wholeheartedly. I started a thread a while back to see if anyone could come up with any songs where her keys really shine and there weren't many people could name, with some of those being a reach for sure. Her comfort zone is definitely in the rhythm section (Dreams, Smile at You, Nights in Estoril, etc.)

I think the only songs where she truly shines as an individual player are on Sara, If You Were My Love, Crystal, Never Forget, Hold Me, and maybe a few others. Really though her keyboard playing is usually buried in the mix and really comes out live (I'm So Afraid, Rhiannon)
For me, she's most impressive on: Crystal, Honey Hi, Friend (acoustic version), Oh Daddy, Sugar Daddy, YMLF, Don't Stop, One in a Million, Smile I Live For, and Spare Me a Little (especially the live versions--but including the organ drenched studio version).

She's a top notch Hammond player. A damn good barrelhouse and twelve-bar blues piano player, a reflective and emotive ballad pianist, and a really sparkling electric keyboard player (ie: "Eyes of the World" live, as well as "Loved Another Woman" from 1974 soundboard). But yes, her understatement is sometimes too understated.