Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
No, that's a myth. "Crossroads" on Wheels Of Fire is exactly how it was performed...no edits. (per Tom Dowd...mentioned the DVD bio of him.)
Ah good to hear that confirmed. That story has swirled about for years. When I first heard it I was a little surprised I'll admit, since the track always seemed seamless. But given that so much of their concert material is extended, I figured anything might be possible. There is only one point where such an edit could have occurred IMO, and that's well into the song (can you guess where?). Glad you set me right - I like it that way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
And, don't forget the killer live tracks from their Goodbye album. "I'm So Glad", "Sittin' On Top Of The World" & "Politician", as tight as Cream EVER sounded live.
Ya more of the same, as it dribbled in a la carte as only Cream could do it. I recall I had a self-compiled cassette of all of Cream's "best" material once upon a time, one side live and the other studio. That's how good they were considered live by most of us, whereas few bands back then could merit such space considerations (let alone release enough concert material). Probably hasn't been played in 20 to 25 years now -- same with all my original LPs of the band. That's also how most did it years ago as many here know or recall, when tape began to rule over clumsy discs. The one truly great upside was that ability to make custom compilations of one's own choosing.

Slice it or dice it any way you want, Cream set the world on fire live back then in concert, more than any other act of the day (circa 1966-68). They preceded Fleetwood Mac in the jam style, and licked Hendrix at his own game by being having a greater overall reach. There were axes every bit as good as EC at the time, some arguably better, but few brought as well rounded and varied a package to the table as the trio comprising Cream. How well their concert sound has withstood the test of time is for each to decide. But that was then, and this is now. And those were two clearly different times.