View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you remember well the problem was that the animosity had spread from the specific threads to the other forums, and there were many remarks among the threads in those band's forum that had nothing to do with music but stemmed from the political antipaties instead. This made people who wanted to avoid political discussion impossible to read serenely and many decided to abandon the forum altogether.

Well, no, I personally don't recall that happening. I remember people (myself included) being annoyed with welcomechris elsewhere (about other things) but I didn't personally see anything political spreading into other forums. If it did happen (as I'm sure it did) then I don't think I witnessed it personally. However, if that did happen then the logical thing would have been to warn and then sanction individual offenders. Indeed, I'm aware welcomechris is no longer here- I don't know if thats connected.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. This is not about me, it's about respect of the rules.
Yes, before the ban I used to contribute to the discussions, trying to always be respectful of the norms, and after the ban I stopped as (almost) everyone else did, and if the ban will be revoked chances are I'll contribute again.
I don't make rules.

I am trying to say you were a fervent and valued participant in discussion. I'm sure you won't outright say so but I suspect you yourself would consider banning discussion of certain topics to be rather silly. I appreciate there are rules but some rules seem to be arbitarily made up.

Again I don't fully understand what you are advocating. It has been said that the ban wasn't necessarily permanent because it's true. From what I know and remember it's not the first time that a hot topic has been temporarily prohibited to blow some steam off, and you should have been a member for longer than me. Why this time is this prohibition impossible to respect?

Sorry, I don't recall any other occasions in which topics have been 'temporarily prohibited'. What happened on other occasions? I'd say this ban has clearly been respected; nobody has posted any overtly polictical comments. The only comments that have been made about the subject involve digs about the decision that was taken, not the topic itself. I think it was suggested the ban may only be temporary as a means for backtracking on what was a bit of an ill-judged decision.
So, it was suggested the ban be temporary as a means for cooling-off. When exactly is the ban likely to be lifted? Or are we to be on hold indefinitely? Until after the US election? And what then, another ban in the run up to the next one?

I don't care about whether I can or cannot discuss politics here too. I'm not here for that.
I'm a member of other forums and there if someone makes Outside Themed posts they get outright canceled and if someone attempts to make provocative posts they get outright banned. I think they're a bit strict but their house, their rules.

It's not just about politics, it's about heated topics in general. I still just cannot for the life of me see why people can't come to this place they know and love and engage in intelligent discussion about whatever burning issues they wish to discuss. Provided threads are clearly labelled then people do not have to read things and comment if they choose not to. The crazy thing is, any one of us can go onto any of the other forums and say pretty much anything we want so long as it isn't deemed directly offensive towards any other Ledge member. In fact, I could probably go on 'Rumours' right now and post a thread entitled 'Stevie Nicks thinks Donald Trump is a fat ignorant buffoon because...' and it would probably be okay so long as I'm discussing the views of a member of Fleetwood Mac. The actual topics themselves don't really bother me- its just the way its done and the way people are treated. 'Tongue in cheek' threats of banning valued members just for making light hearted digs is silly. I enjoy checking in on the Ledge but I dont like tiptoing around worrying about what posts I'm making or whether threads may be deemed too offensive. Bloody hell, this is the internet. There is far worse out there to worry about.

Whatever happens, please treat us contributors as grown-ups and please, please avoid the patronising tone.