View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Today I just happened across an old Blender magazine interview with Stevie from May 2007
The "Street Angel" quagmire was brought up. I found it funny.

Q: You recorded 1994's "Street Angel" when you were addicted to Klonopin. What did you think when you first heard it after you got out of rehab?

S: "I went back in and I tried to fix it! It wasn't that it wasn't good, it was just, if you're taking a lot of tranquilizers everyday, it makes sense that the music will be verryy tranquil. So I tried to fix it, which is kind of like trying to redo a house: You end up spending way more money than if you had just burned it to the ground and started over. It wasn't fixable."

Yes, she sould have burned it to the ground and started over
Well, I don't agree that SA should have been burned. I think that it's not without problems, but much better than Stevie's harsh assessment. But I do see what she's talking about...it's one thing to fix a stray vocal here or there but quite another when you're unhappy with virtually all of the production.

It's still puzzling, though, given that Stevie & co. were in complete triage/salvage mode, that she didn't put the Chris Lord-Alge tracks back in. Those were as strong or stronger than many of the cuts that were in the released version.