Thread: Bob Welch
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
In general, I'm sure Stevie is the biggest draw of the lot. But even still, I don't think it's a very good analogy. Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac really only required Peter Green. People would have easily accepted the band without Jeremy or Danny. Sure, those two were great on stage, but people would have gone to see Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac if it were Peter, Mick, John, and Stan Webb, Christine Perfect, Kim Simmonds, or any other combination of British blues musicians. Also, look at what happened right after Peter Green quit. People just stopped caring. Even the addition of Christine Perfect, herself a huge star on the British blues scene, couldn't put the band back on top.
IMO, nothing says rock star like being a guitar god. The god was gone, so the masses stopped caring.
And on a similar note, I think the litmus test for a band's longevity(whether new material is still their forte or not), is having 4 or 5 big GUITAR rock songs. If you've got that, you can ride those coattails for a looooong time, milking those anthems forever.