View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Yeah that's the extended mix that was on this "promo" CD...I wonder if this was edited for an actual potential single release or it's just someone's handy work. Ugghh I wish I still had the CD...either way this "Alternate Version" (6:13) is better then the LP version IMO. This promo CD single I had is clearly a fake (bootleg) as Atlantic/Modern released ZERO promo CD's in 1986 so I find it hard to believe one would exist.
I've always had a soft spot for the The Nightmare. It's rambling and barely coherant and (like a lot of Rock a Little) the music is slightly 80's-vomit. At the same time the energy from Stevie is great. That being said, I do like this version better than the album. I like the slightly-stripped down vocals, I like the new ending, the guitar overdubs, and especially the fact that it now has a chorus! The album version just moves from verse to verse making the song feel endless. Rearranging the "THE NIGHTMAAAARE.... This is not the world" part after each verse gives the song a better structure imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life
I think If I Were You could have been a hit if a video was made. However I hate that song with the passion.
I found this statement hilarious. I didn't pay much attention to If I Were You for a long time but after revisiting Rock a Little I've grown an appreciation for it, even if it's mostly at the songs expense. It's a little underdeveloped and hysterically not Stevie. Whenever I hear that song I chuckle at the thought of her dancing to those cheesy (if catchy) lyrics. The doorbell intro is also very funny. The only thing I genuinely like about it would be the vocals. Can't say she didn't try!

Definetly would have been my pick for the third RAL single, maybe with a remix and some added lyrics. If the album garnered a fourth I'd be in a predicament.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)