View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
Hey guys, i had an interesting conversation with my friend about losing your virginity - he said that he lost his at 14, and he was told by friends that that was a really old age to lose it, and alot of them lost it at 11 and 12. Now we are both 19, and im still one but the only difference is im gay, and he is straight (many of you will know how difficult that can be when growing up) - so my question to you is, what age is still having your virginity kind of weird?? How Old Is Too Old??
Good lord. I thought this was going to be some comical thread about some fifty-year-old who was just itching to finally lose it but thought maybe it was too late and they ought to just throw in the towel.

14 is a very young age to be having sex, and 11 or 12 is just ridiculous. I don't think I even figured out masturbation until I was 12. I would guess that some of your friend's friends were just flat out lying. Otherwise that's a bit disturbing. I really doubt that many or any 12 or 14 year olds are remotely mature enough to be able to deal with the incredible responsibility - both physical and emotional - that sex entails.

Losing your virginity isn't like getting your voter registration card or buying a pack of cigarettes. There's no pre-set age beyond which you really should have had sex already. You should lose your virginity when you find a person that you care about enough - and who cares about you enough - to want to have that kind of relationship with.

If someone is in their 30s or 40s and are still a virgin, I think what's "weird" isn't that they've never had sex, per se, but that they've never had a mature, serious romantic relationship (of which sex tends to be a part).

Bottom line: There's nothing "weird" about being a 19 year old virgin. There are lots of people in their twenties who are still virgins, many of them by choice. There's actually a growing abstinence (until marriage, of course) movement in the US.

EDIT: Does this post make it seem like I think sex outside the confines of a serious relationship is wrong? I don't really believe that, though I think it's something that is often important for a first experience - it's always easier venturing into unknown waters in the security that a relationship can bring. Beyond that, though, if you're into casual sex, knock yourself out. Not that anybody here really cares what I think or needs me to approve of their sex lives, or vice versa.

Last edited by Jyqm; 11-01-2005 at 06:56 PM..