View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It's a pretty melody. I hum it in the shower, for some reason, or while cooking my famous Turkey Tenders with Lemon Capers. The problem with Jane is the words. Stevie is not part of the Less Is More School. She repeats "souls," "world," "angel," and "you have done so much" until you're ready to heave. The whole song is a platitude. You don't make Jane seem more angelic by saying over and over that she's an angel. There are times I despair of Stevie having little or no understatement in her lyrics—everything is overstated. Her best songs (Dreams) actually are great examples of understatement. Think of how many different layers of meaning one can pull from the subtle "Who am I to keep you down?" As a songwriter, Stevie would be better if she didn't feel the need to overdramatize every little point, and occasionally kept her visions to herself.
Its that intensity and drama that pulls me into the song. Its written and sung from the heart completely. "Well they might have put us both into prison, come way from the wall Jane"

I love the "There are angels here, on earth" Sent from God
In the eyes of the world, you have done so much!

Funny part is when I bought Street Angel in 1994, I saw a song called "Jane" and instantly thought it was about Jane Petty (the inspiration to part of Edge of 17). I could never make quite sense of it LMAO