View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Designer Reem Acra Talks Stevie Nicks

One Minute With … Reem Acra

http://www.thefashionspot.com/runway...acra/#/slide/1
Jihan Forbes February 17th, 2015, The Fashion Spot

Attention gypsy queens with a thing for Old World royalty — Reem Acra just put out your dream wardrobe. The designer’s Fall 2015 offering was all bell sleeves, high necks and dripping, just dripping in ornate beadwork. The collection was a combination of romance and glamour, a few pieces giving us a modern-day Anne Boleyn vibe — if Anne Boleyn was a gypsy queen and listened to Stevie Nicks.

Pre-show, we caught up with the designer backstage to get the tea on what we were about to see.

theFashionSpot: Tell us a little about what you were thinking when you put this together.

Reem Acra: When I first started I thought about Stevie Nicks, and I went into my archives and started to dig up all those embroideries I collected for so many years and little things here and there, feathers and so on. I thought to myself, “That’s so me, that’s my personality,” the gypsy modern girl that I wanted to portray. Stevie Nicks, I looked at her pictures, those self-portraits are really unbelievable, and I took the colors from there. The inspiration was basically her and then I went into my own world and this came out.

tFS: What is your favorite Stevie Nicks song?

RA: Well, you’re going to hear it right now. You will hear a demo, actually, rather than a song that’s out. It’s incredible that we were able to get this demo. You will hear something special.

tFS: Should we expect a Stevie Nicks sighting tonight?

RA: Unfortunately, she’s in Atlanta! But we sent her a message.

tFS: What is your favorite piece from this collection?

RA: It’s hard to say that I have a specific favorite piece, I think it’s all about the vibe of the collection. Every piece is really magical. There is nothing here that isn’t the collection. It’s a whole thing altogether.

tFS: It’s freezing outside. What advice do you have for women trying to dress for extreme cold? There’s a lot of girls out here with bare legs…

RA: Just be warm! It’s not about being undressed or looking cool. I have three, four layers on underneath here!

tFS: This is Fashion Week’s last time at Lincoln Center. What are you going to miss or not miss about the venue?

RA: It’s not about the place, I think it’s about the collection. It doesn’t matter to me where I’m showing, as long as it’s New York City, anywhere. It doesn’t matter.

tFS: What are you doing when this is all over?

RA: Going back to work tomorrow morning!