View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Review: Solid-gold singing from Stevie Nicks in Seattle

Stevie Nicks was all about new music and old friendships at her KeyArena show on Sunday. The powerhouse openers were Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders.

Before heading back on the road with Fleetwood Mac next year, the 68-year-old singer is touring in support of her 2014 release, “24 Karat Gold,” and other lesser-known material from throughout her four decades in rock ‘n’ roll.

This is not the same Stevie Nicks show you’ve seen for 30 years,” Nicks said. “I pulled these songs out of my dark, magical trunk of mystery things.

Though sung with that same powerful rasp that fans love, each song came with a surprise.

“Stop Dragging My Heart Around,” was an audience-pleasing impromptu duet between Nicks and Hynde. “Belle Fleur” floated along on a pop-synth cloud, featuring the virtuosity of her keyboardist Daryl Smith. Nicks even wore the “original ‘Bella Donna’ cape” during her performance of some of the songs off her 1981 debut solo album.

Further surprises came in Nicks’ telling the rich history behind each song, and honoring her longtime musician friends who helped her get where she is today.

“Starshine” — a keyboard-driven, ABBA-esque number, as well as “Stop Dragging My Heart Around” — were co-written by Tom Petty. Nicks spoke of her deep songwriting bond with Petty, and her reverence for the Heartbreakers.

I’ve just always wanted to be one of The Heartbreakers,” she said.

The weightiest of her tributes was her emotional performance of, “Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream),” which she sang in tribute to her close friend, the late musician Prince. The energetic single “Stand Back” followed, inspired largely by the first time Nicks heard Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” as she was driving. Nicks teared up after both songs.

I’ve only sang ‘Moonlight’ to Prince one other night,” she said, “because when I do, it takes on a whole other meaning for me.

Though largely about new material, some classic golden hits made the “24 Karat Gold” set list, including the Rumours classic “Gold Dust Woman.” The night ended with two beloved Fleetwood Mac encores: “Rhiannon” and “Landslide.” These familiar diversions were a thank you to her fans for supporting her creative freedom and journey, now and always.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertai...-stevie-nicks/