View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
On the DVD-A, Stevie says she had the melody too, so she definitely had a vocal melody with her words. I just don't think they adopted that melody whole cloth. I think Christine had somewhat of a melody going too already.
Stevie may have had the chorus melody. That sounds like her. The complexity of the harmonic structure of the verses wasn't a Stevie Nicks invention. It probably wasn't even a Christine McVie invention -- solely. It seems to me, owing to its oddness, that it came from Lindsey & specifically from Lindsey's guitar work. What the vocalists are doing on the verses is harmonizing an unusual progression of dominant 7ths & major 6ths. That sort of thing doesn't come out of Stevie Nicks, & it typically doesn't come out of a keyboardist like Christine, either. But it is far more likely to have sprung from a Travis-picked acoustic guitar part.

The three of them may have all just been trying to harmonize together, without really knowing much about the structure or harmonic progression of what they were doing by instinct, by vibe, by feel.

moviekinks.blogspot.com