View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
The thing is, whether anyone likes it or not, heavy people are going to be ostracized the way smokers have been. They're first working on the obese children, but obese children get this way mostly from the overweight moms feeding them the wrong foods, or mothers giving the children money for high-calorie fast foods.

Heavy people always claim that it's medication that puts on the pounds, and to some extent it is. But alcohol (especially!) candy, fried foods or chips in combination with the drugs exacerbate this.

The common retort from a fat person when someone criticizes her weight is that she doesn't eat much ....but then you see her chug down a few glasses of beer, drink wine (5 oz glass is 100 calories, folks!), eat a complete bag of Cheetos or carton of ice cream at one sitting, and you know she's fabricating. It's a lifestyle she's choosing, rather than something she can't help.....and short women can't eat as much as tall women, without gaining weight.
That is the most stereotypical and generalized statement I've ever read. To lump all these people into one view isn't fair or even remotely true.

Have you ever heard of a little thing called *metabolism*? I know several people, including past roomates, who didn't eat much at all, even restricted carbohydrate intake, and they still gained weight. It has nothing to do with all fat or obese people eating wrong; it has to do with their bodies. It's wrong to say that the reason these people are fat is because of the way they eat; it just isn't true.

Medications can play a huge part in weight gain. When i was on antidepressants, I gained a lot of weight. I knew going in that I would gain a little, but to the extent that I did. So what did I do? I forced myself to eat healthy. Bread & Circus was my second home. I never touched fried foods, fast food, candy, sugar, or red meat. But, I *still* gained weight. Why? In part because of my medication and in part because of my metabolism. I've since gone off the medication and lost all of the weight.

Also, you need to have some perspectivw when you talk about people who say they don't eat much but then pig out. Have you ever heard of eating disorders? Overeating is one of them and is a medical condition.

What you posted is unfair and I'm sorry you feel that way about overweight people. The people like you who have such opinions about people with extra pounds are the ones who should be educated on metabolism and the human body and it's psyche; you seem to have no grasp of either.

Last edited by dissention; 08-27-2003 at 09:56 AM..