View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's Songbird: Christine McVie

Just finished watching this programme. It was okay. It was lovely to have a documentary focusing on Christine, its just a shame it didn't focus on her a bit more. Much of this programme was just a retreading of the history of Fleetwood Mac. Every now and then the makers of the programme remembered it was supposed to be about Christine and brought her back in and played more of her music.

Once again its a shame they didn't focus more on the Bob Welch years. They talked a bit about Bob and mentioned how Chris harmonized with him so well. Sadly none of her music from this period was played.

Stevie made regular contributions; Humorously she mimicked Chris' English accent a couple of times and sounded (and looked) like the Queen.

Irritatingly Neil Finn and Mike Campbell made significant contributions- 'dudes, you've known her for , like, 2 years!!!!'
Neil did comment on her songwriting and mentioned they'd only recently been working on a song together. Perhaps some new music will come out of this incarnation of the band after all.

The images from the Buckingham McVie period were a beautiful reminder of that time. She broke my heart a bit though by saying how great Lindsey was but then callously saying it had to be done and how great it was on stage with the current band. So sad they had to make a programme about Christine McVie with no contribution from Lindsey.

Overall, I'd say there was pretty much nothing new in this documentary. I was hoping for more detail. I'd like to have heard about her relationship with Martin Birch. I'd have liked to have heard from Curry Grant himself. I'd liked to have heard more about exactly what she did in her time away from the band (I don't think they even mentioned In The Meantime).

I did like her description of herself as 'The Queen of the Hook'. Perhaps the biggest take-away from this was full confirmation from the horses mouth (as it were) that Over My Head was definitely 100% written about Lindsey.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 09-20-2019 at 05:16 PM..