Thread: Bob Welch
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
"Tusk" took awhile to sing in & get people to groove to it. It didn't have that immediate impact, but it did have a hook that the public did begin to respond to.

It's my own hypothesis, too, that the USC Trojan Marching Band helped propel "Tusk" (the song & the album) as much as any airplay did. They featured the song at halftime at all the USC games at the Coliseum that year & the next, & you have no idea what it was like to see 80,000 people stand & do their "Victory Sign" thingie when the band launched into its arrangement of "Tusk." It really got everybody pumped.

In fact, "Tusk" probably got a bigger, better reception at the Coliseum that year than on the radio!

Plus, Stevie & Lindsey showed up at the USC-ASU game in October, & those 80,000 people were doubly dazzled, oddly enough. There was just something about seeing Stevie do her baton majorette routine & watching Lindsey fake-conduct the band.
Oh yeah, I agree with this, I just meant that I think many younger fans might think that people loved "Tusk" because it made the top 10 on it's release & I think the 1st Tusk single would've charted up there no matter what music was included on it.

John