View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
Last week, I took a mile barefoot walk with my (other) favorite band, Hanson. They started doing the walks in 2007 as a way to encourage their fans to "walk in someone else's shoes", or in this case, what it's like to walk without shoes. In the beginning, it was largely in support of Toms Shoes, who provide one pair of shoes for children who have none for each pair you purchase. Since then, the band has created their own charity, Take the Walk. For each fan who walks a mile before a concert , they donate $1 to that fan's chosen cause, ranging from building fresh water wells, to donating cell phone minutes for AIDS medication notifications, to donating shoes, to building schools. They also donate $1 per person who participates in a walk organized by a fan. Their goal prior to last fall's tour was to add up the miles walked by each individual and have them combine to match the number of miles it would take to walk around the world. Through band and fan hosted walks, they succeeded and are now well into the second lap. Aside from raising thousands of dollars to help children in AIDS ravaged South Africa, they have also helped to show their many fans how simple actions can combine to create large results. I've been lucky enough to be a part of seven walks and their work has definitely opened my eyes!

I'm so excited and proud to be a part of this action, so, like the thread title says, just thought I'd share!

OMG you're a Hanson fan?? So am I! They're still one of my favourite bands
Ha, sorry to butt in, I'm new on here, recently got into FM again.. so um, hi! *waves*