View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
...but to say "Yoko was hardly an artist in her own right" is absolutely incorrect. Yoko was a classicaly trained pianist who was part of the 1960's Fluxus Movement and was a legitimately respected artist in the avant garde world BEFORE she met John Lennon. It was to her career detriment that she hooked up with one of the biggest superstars in rock music, and instead of his status adding credence to her accomplishments people just mocked and ridiculed her.

I can only speak for myself, but much of Yoko's music and art is inspirational. I have studied art and in the late 90's I purchased a career retrospective on her. Yoko Ono is a formidable talent in her genre, whether you want to believe it or not. And her music was not always based on "caterwauling," as she has many beautiful and poignant pieces. Her resurgence on the dance charts- which you sort of ignored in your response- is something to take note of. Those singles, for the most part, were made with John Lennon. He played on those records, and some of the best playing in his career actually.
Thank you so much! I find Yoko Ono one of the most underrated artists of all time. She deserves so much more.