View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
While most of us may like or think Straight Back is the best or one of the best songs on Mirage, its not going to released as a single.
A great example is Bella Donna. Quoting the man who created the album Jimmy Iovine. Bella Donna was a great album but no one was going to hear it because it had no single. Thus he brought SDMHA to the album. Same concept as Talk To Me.
Isn't it Midnight is the best or one of the best songs on Tango but it was not going to released as the first or fourth single.
You get the point, no?
Its not my standard but they pick the most commercial song possible. (The entire Tusk album was not commercial - that was the idea).
I agree with what you said about songs we would rather have as singles. But I disagree with the idea that those songs could not have been singles. Part of what made/makes FM interesting is that their work was so confessional and different! It is a shame that Straight Back - one of Stevie's most interesting songs ever IMHO - is buried on FM's least popular album. And Isn't It Midnight (along with Little Lies) is the catchiest track on Tango in the Night so that still bothers me too!

Say You Will is catchy but it would not make me want to buy an album. I think Everybody Finds Out and Smile At You (even though this version is not my favorite of this song) are exciting tracks. Tonally they follow the thread of scorned lovers in Fleetwood Mac songs and that story and authenticity makes you want to hear more. Plus, Stevie gets so into it vocally in Everybody Finds Out, yelling alongside the crescendo of the violins... It is an energy I do not think we have seen in a studio vocal from her since then. I think that would have appealed to anyone even remotely familiar with her famous Rhiannon performances, as well as new fans. It is a shame they never do this live!!

Last edited by lilyfee; 01-06-2019 at 01:30 PM..