View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think we are talking about teo different things. The City of New Orleans asked peole to evauate in two ways:

1. Leave the city and go west to at least Baton Rouge.

or

2. If they could not leave because they had not car, etc. - they were to go to the Superdome as it was built as an evacuation shelter.

If you had to chose option 2, you had two days to get to the Dome and many thousands did and they did so by public transportation and other means. My point is many thousands who were able to evacuate did not because of the inconvenience and I think those people could have gotten there but just did not want to. Thus, those people are not the forgotten that they were referring to. They were instead the obstinate and in a deadly way in many cases. In the end, I think that if the able bodied people had listened to the evacuation warnings and gone to the Superdome they would have been better off than being stranded in a 100+ degree attic waiting for a chopper or boat to rescue them at the cost of a sick or frail person who could not evacuate dying while waiting for the evacuation of the able bodied people.

I am not saying that the poor and sick were taken care of properly, they were not - and I think that is pathetic. My beef is with the able bodied people who chose to stay being heralded as innocents in all this. They were part of the problem.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the evacuation plans drawn up and the actions taken by the local government of New Orleans, I suppose.