View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalko View Post
Here in Europe Germans have the reputation to be very, very systematical and methodical. They have it somewhere, for sure.

Maybe the journalist who wrote the article can ask for more?

http://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/rockpal...tival-100.html
don't be too sure about this! you mustn't forget one thing here: the fact that this 10-minute feature has survived in the wdr archives doesn't necessarily mean that the original sources they had used for it are still available or can be tracked down as well.

for example: i've been repeatedly in contact with archivists and editors of tv stations in germany (including the wdr in cologne) in trying to find diverse footage in their vaults. although i've been lucky in some cases, in others i wasn't successful. i remember times they gave me the thumbs up as they had the stuff listed, but shortly after they apologised because the footage couldn't be copied, was literally rotten or couldn't be found (despite being listed). and that happened even with footage from the 70s or 80s.

an editor at the wdr provided me with a list of ALL the vintage programmes that could be considered for re-broadcast in the "from the archives" series. believe me - i was absolutely floored reading that list. but my high hopes and expectations were shattered even faster than they'd been raised: quite a lot of those contents are still in existence indeed, but the film material is severely damaged and can't be broadcast anymore. and restoration is out of the question as it would be way too expensive.

and now back to the "1969 essen pop & blues festival": there's sadly no more footage than what was shown on that occasion . . . and that also means that we simply have to be grateful for those 78 seconds of "albert ross".