View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I agree with you regarding the quality of the orchestration. There are some quality moments in the backing track. But for me, the main problem with SS in its original form is Stevie Nicks. Her vocal doesn’t command the song. Her singing sounds a bit like scratch vocals for another more confident singer to work from. Before its 1997 reemergence I used to find the song “pleasant” but “transitional” because she couldn’t manage the right vocal attack. All of that changed in 1997 when her voice wrapped perfectly around the melody.
I totally got the same feeling. Stevie took command of SS in 1997 and her vocal brought out the power of the song. However, the fragility of her voice and singing from the 1977 studio version creates a very vulnerable singer and vocal.
When I heard the 1997 version live, I instantly liked it and immediately thought it was better because her vocal was standing up to this guy. It brought the song to another level. But after all these years, the studio musical track and vocal beats out the Dance. I think we were all under the Dance spell (or maybe just me). I love the vulnerability of her vocal. Its very similar to Sara. The studio track wanders and her vocal shows vulnerability. However Sara live takes the song to new levels. Its powerful. I suppose each is good for their own reasons. But if someone put a gun to my head and said, PICK. I would pick the studio track.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-12-2022 at 11:22 AM..