View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I bet people had the same reaction in 87' when they literally kicked the living sh*t out of each other. Stevie even said "my family will kill you."

People are reflective and forgiving. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility.
Perhaps not. Both were emotionally charged splits with animosity all round (1987 was more flagrant, it seems to me).

It took ten years for the band to reunite after the 1987 split. Those ten years were filled with a lot of emotional crud that didn’t seem to want to get resolved—for example, Lindsey’s cold, uncomfortable presence at the Clinton Inaugural press conference, or Stevie’s 1994 radio interview comments about Lindsey.

So far, this split—which is still less than two years on—is filled with the same signs. Nobody on either side appears to be in any sort of mood for reuniting. Ten years isn’t a universal axiom for healing, but it gives you an idea of the psychic dust that would need to settle before the people involved would start to feel that they’d like to play with one another again. In 1987, the band members were all 40 or 45 years old, so ten years down the road was feasible. A Fleetwood Mac with 50-year-olds was no big deal. This time, the prospect of a Fleetwood Mac with 80- and 85-year-olds is an appalling stretch of unlikelihood.

There’s also the cumulative effect of multiple splits at work. Like an earthquake-retrofitted building that gets more precarious after two large quakes, the second breakup weakens the integrity of the foundation more than the first did.

moviekinks.blogspot.com