View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
We could have a million conversations about track choices and ideas in Lindsey's work, but imagine having even one such conversation about Stevie's. Stripped of her vocals and lyrics, those tracks would mean nothing to anyone.
But you could have a very similar discussion about Stevie's vocals and lyrics. I am struck at how differently she can make me feel by changing tone and inflection in her voice or by varying a lyric. Did the lyric change message evolution, devolution, fear, regret? And that has an impact on whether I think the song is inspiring, empowering, or sad. I can reflect on those changes, just like I analyze the differences in one version of My Little Demon from the other.

You talked about the triumph of Lindsey debuting the new arrangements of Big Love (and Go Insane) for his solo show. I wish he'd done more of that. We have outtakes here and there, with Gift of Screws and with the FM album releases we have gotten. But we haven't had the chance to track transformations in his solo work as much as I would like, because they would reveal, what I would like to perceive as, the transformations in him.