View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post

2. I got in a car accident today. Some dumbass with no license or registration (debatably no insurance) decided to stop in the middle of an intersection. I was behind him so legally, I'm at fault but we're hoping the entire no license thing works in my advantage. I was bawling on the side of the road for about an hour, mourning over my poor little Jetta. There's a slight chance she's not totaled.... I am devastated.

JTIS.

Yike! SO sorry that happened! . . . .

Little "tip" for future reference - Never stop if you can swerve.
(It takes MUCH less time to yank the steering wheel to the left or right and go around, then to move your foot up, over and down on the brake - plus swerving takes advantage of momentum, whereas trying to stop means you're fighting against the momentum of the car.) Naturally you have to use your best judgment in each different case; and obviously sometimes you'd want to dump as much speed as possible if you're obviously gonna collide.

I don't mean to sound "preachy" or imply it was your fault or anything like that, it's just that that "little trick" saved my Dad's life once, or at least saved him from extremely severe injury. He was doing a good 60 mph on the highway and some a-hole who had just gotten into a road rage incident swerved out from the shoulder right in front of him without even bothering to look first - I guess he was still yelling at the other guy - instead of trying to stop - 'cause he knew he wouldn't be able to - my Dad just simply jerked the steering wheel to the left, and so instead of having a head-on collision kind of thing, he hit the other car with a "glancing blow" and so there was much less energy and force involved. Car was reparable and everything, too.

For whatever it's worth, that particular accident was immediately ruled the other guy's fault (he had admitted it was, too...) and so his insurance had to pay for it.
Anyway I hope it works out with getting your car fixed, etc. Glad you weren't hurt!