View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Everyone always focuses on lyrics, but great lyrics with crappy music/chord progressions/riffs won't get you a hit song. Henley's a great lyricist but not as strong writing the music-- he's a lot like Stevie in that regard. In his solo work he relied on Danny Kortchmar among others to carry the musical load just as he relied on others within the Eagles. Without the music he'd just have a bunch of poetry notebooks full of stuff no one would ever hear.
I agree about lyrics being secondary to the music... although HC does have some memorable lyrics, to Henley's credit ("You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" has gotta be up there somewhere among rock's most memorable final lines in a song!). My point was that even if you give 100% credit to Felder for HC - which would be unfair to Henley - to say "most of their most famous songs were created by Felder" is still a big oversell of Felder's contributions. "Co-created"? OK, sure, as his guitar work is essential in many of their memorable tunes. But to imply that Felder was the creative driving force in the band goes against what has been documented about their history for decades.

Still, he was given 1/5 ownership of the Eagles, and shouldn't have been treated like he was. But I don't think any of the players in that drama were blameless...