View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think the spirit and production on BuckVie are more organic and less tethered to a specific era of time. There's no way one can listen to Tango without knowing it's calculated mid-80s pop.

The four hits on Tango are excellent but even then (Little Lies excepted) they do not measure up to the rest of the band's best work. The album feels anxious, whereas BuckVie isn't a desperate bid for the top-10. The musicians know they can no longer sell albums in the millions of copies (or even the hundreds of thousands) but they still want to make music in the idioms that made them famous. As a result, those ten songs, especially the five that were co-recorded with both vocalists, have a genuine warmth and charm. And the last two songs are as good, if not better, than anything on Tango.
really? What era do the songs on BuckVie sound like to you? Because, sorry to say, Lindsey, I don't find they sound contemporary to the 2010s at all. They do sound like a follow on to Mirage or even to some extent Tango, which is to say, the mid to late 80s. Don't get me wrong, I love the BUckVie album, but I cannot honestly say it sounds identifiable as a 20-teens era collection of songs. It sounds quite retro, which, for those of us who lived through the 80s and the FM music of that time, is somewhat part of the charm.