View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi,
Mixed emotions for me. I'm an Assistant Headteacher for a large secondary school (its probably the equivalent of a High School administrator in the US). I'm normally a workaholic. I've had to go into work 3 days a week on a 4 week rota (3 days in, then 3 weeks off) to supervise children of key workers. Its nice to go into work and see some other colleagues. My wife was furloughed (on full pay thankfully) so we've all been off together as a family. I've had to have quite a lot of Zoom meetings and various other work to do at home, but not too much. Because I'm a workaholic I feel guilty not doing as much as I would normally do.

I've occupied myself with jobs around the house. I've redecorated our bedroom, tidied the attic and done a lot of work in the garden (yard). We normally grow a lot of fruit and vegetables but decided to really go overboard this year due to food shortages in the shops a while back (thankfully things have settled now). The wife and I have started watching a lot more films than normal. We tend to pick something out to watch every evening. Once a week we have a family quiz on Zoom (7 different households). The quizzes are fun but frustrating- the wife and I are regularly 3rd every single week.

Luckily I chose to book a domestic holiday this year as a change from going abroad. We have a holiday house in the English countryside booked from 1st August for 18 people (extended family). I'm hoping restrictions will be eased by then to allow us to get away into the country. That's just what we need right now. My worry is there'll be another surge in this virus. Cases have been dropping but so long as its still around I cant see how it can not spread. I wasn't too worried as I didnt know anyone that had caught it. However someone I know recently told me his sister died of it. That really hit me, even though I didn't know her. Schools here are due to part open to more students next month. I'll be expected to go in. I'll be happy to go into work but I cant see how kids interacting with each other aren't going to spread it around. All along we've had about 20 kids of key worker families going into school. Even keeping those 20 kids apart has been impossible.

Thankfully the weather in the UK has been brilliant. If it had rained and been cold as it often is things would have been really miserable.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood