View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Okay. I'll give you that. However, I think it's better to over-emote than to strip away all of the emotion in an otherwise very moving song, as Stevie did with TISL's "Planets of the Universe." So I still remain firmly in Bekka's camp.
Personally, I don't think it's ever better to over-emote!

And I think Stevie's vocal is perfect on the TISL version of "Planets Of The Universe." She starts out sounding composed, with just the right hint of resignation... and then builds to the song's climax. I think it's more effective that way than if she came right out of the gate at a full gallop.
But, of course, that's just my opinion.

I have to say that all of this talk of "can sing," "could sing," "used to be able to sing," makes me wonder how fans of other artists feel. Two people I mentioned earlier, Dylan and Marianne Faithful, have markedly different voices than they did earlier in their career. Did any of their fans throw their hands up in the air, and say, "Gawd, he/she can't sing anymore -- I can't listen to this ****!"? Or do they find beauty in their flawed, latter-day vocals?

If Bekka's or Christine's voices ever changed dramatically, for whatever reason, would their fans run the other way? Or would they find an appreciation for their new sound?