View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Absolutely. That version of the band could have — in fact, should have — opened up their set to all manner of Mac catalogue songs: Rattlesnake Shake, Sands of Time (Billy on lead vocal for some Kirwan songs would have been lovely and unexpected), Underway, Black Magic Woman, Believe Me (Bekka would have been far more convincing on this than on Say You Love Me), Sentimental Lady, Jumping at Shadows (Mason on lead vocal on a great slow blues instead of his atrocious Blow by Blow), etc. At Konocti Harbor Spa & Resort in October 1994, the band should have sold itself as a blues and power-pop outfit rather than a Rumours tribute band. Billy and Bekka were cute young things, but Mason was vacuous, and the band conveyed no cohesive identity other than as a Rumours tribute band. The audience (of about 300) should have left the show thinking what a fun little blues-rock outfit they are — instead of “I feel like seeing the real Fleetwood Mac now.”
I just don’t think this would have worked- no disrespect to that particular incarnation of the band, but I can’t imagine the majority of folks who were at a show to see FM would enjoy most of the songs you listed, of which they likely never heard of before. Even if the band rocked the house. I consider myself a fan of most of the FM eras, and even I couldn’t place a handful of the songs you mentioned. Blues aren’t my thing, I mean I enjoy a few songs like that during a show, but not as many as you mentioned. If FM had sold themselves as a blues band during that tour, I think even less people would have showed up. By the time they released Time, the band was just too different from the Rumours 5 to successfully continue on.