View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Part of the reason Stevie was able to have the self-sustaining solo career was doing all of the duets with the likes of Kenny Loggins, Tom Petty, and Don Henley, which allowed her to be seen as something outside of the context of Fleetwood Mac. The music she made as a solo artists sounded different from Fleetwood Mac. She also toured and kept her name out there.

While Christine wasn't especially interested in being a solo artist, she was still able to deliver something a little different from her Fleetwood Mac work by working with other musicians.

Lindsey had done so much on his own within the context of Fleetwood Mac that it was much harder to delineate his Fleetwood Mac work from his solo work. There were truly no compelling reasons to consider his solo work on its own merits. It didn't shed any new light on Lindsey, it only spoke more to his own eccentricities. That he only made three studio albums (two solo, one Fleetwood Mac) and played about 80 tour dates in 21 years (OOTC tour and The Dance) further compounded the problem.
I think you have it nailed here Steve. Lindsey from a solo perspective is such an odd thing. He clearly resented a lot of Stevie's solo success, especially early on. But, in what way was he ever out there building his own name/brand as a solo act? She had her name out there everywhere starting in the late 70's so she wasn't JUST the Fleetwood Mac girl. Not touring until 1992, when he was already into his 40's and relatively unknown outside of the band, coupled with his general weirdness from a musical perspective, really hurt him from that standpoint. I mean, fine if he didn't want the solo success, but I think for many years, he kind of seemed to think it would happen. Had Lindsey mounted a big tour in 1984 and never pivoted his solo album into Tango and toured in the 1987-88 timeframe with music that was geared a bit more commercial, things may have been very different for him.

Although, I think a Dance-like reunion was inevitable no matter what happened. OOTC could have been a #1 and once Eagles did Hell Freezes Over and boomers started having money to spend, a reunited Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac was bound to occur.