View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Hello all---

I've listened to "In My World" more times than I thought I would, and it's growing on me.

But I am disappointed.

It is definitely NOT the song I expected to hear as the lead single. Where is Christine? Is she on this track at all? It doesn't sound like it. If that's the case, how is this track representative of the album at all? Who chose it as the lead single?

I'm offended as a fan of these artists and of the band. We've waited since 1987 to hear Christine and Lindsey together in the studio, and this project is being marketed as a duo album. But "In My World" doesn't sound anything like a duo track. It sounds like a Lindsey solo song with Mick and John playing along.

I mean...is it a bad song? No, certainly not. And I'd have probably liked it a lot more if it had appeared on Lindsey's next solo project.

Expectations are a dangerous thing when you're talking about art. I admit that.

I was hoping for a rocker with some of Christine's great vocals and sweet, bluesy keys. Instead, we get a decent enough Lindsey song...a midtempo, minor-key tune. Not exactly the kind of song people will crank up on the car radio as we approach summer. And why in the world would Lindsey revisit the "Uh" grunts from the studio version of "Big Love?" That gives an otherwise crisp production a slightly dated vibe.

In other words, I was really looking forward to "Think About Me" or "Hold Me" circa 2017, but instead we got "Peacekeeper" circa 1987.

Again, not a bad song at all. My hope now is that it's the worst song on the album. *wink*

matt

This.

Stylistically, aesthetically, both of these songs are ALL Lindsey. My hunch is that Feel About You was one of his tracks that she put lyrics to. Musically it really doesn't say "Christine" to me.

He often arranges his songs to be very light on bass and drums and be all kinds of pop confection when he's in his Brian Wilson mode. If you listen to the latest thing she did without him, her last solo album, it clearly connects with her bluesy roots.

I fear that part of his joy working with Christine is that she's not going to fight him, and he'll get his fantasy of a female partner who just lets him be the boss. I hopethat the stuff she brought in that she wrote before getting back under his spell is more of what we want from her.