View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
But she did record songs for a band that was on tour but with which she didn't want to tour. Still weird, no?
Oh, it was definitely weird... and yet another reason why I wasn't surprised that they didn't go the same route with 'Say You Will.'

And yet, Christine's involvement on the 'Time' album was more along the lines of a "blending," and not as dominant (I'm not using that word in a bad way) as Lindsey's involvement on 'Tango.'
Her songs were basically recorded solo, and then the band overdubbed their backing vocals, drums and bass.
Also, her backing vocals (but not keys) were added to the other members' material only after it was decided to add her songs.
It was a very weird approach (but then, this IS Fleetwood Mac we're talking about!), but it was done with the knowledge that Christine's involvement would be strictly limited to those 5 tracks on the album, and nothing more.

We also have to remember that, when Christine retired from the road in 1990, she made it clear that she had every intention of continuing to record with Fleetwood Mac, if they wanted her there. So, again, there were no false expectations for her bandmates or the fans.

Not looking to question Lindsey's motives and/or personal situation in 1987, but perhaps if he hadn't hedged about touring, then expectations wouldn't have been there, and there would have been less hard feelings.
His heart wasn't in it, but his waffling allowed there to be a level of optimism. And when he did say yes, and a tour was booked, matters became all the worse.

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, these are the reasons why I believe Christine doesn't get a lot of flak.