Thread: Behind the mask
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I picked up 'Behind The Mask' the day of its release, and played it non-stop for months... and, to this day, it's still an album I listen to a lot (Have it playing right now, in fact).

At the time, I was thrilled that Fleetwood Mac recorded an album with a little more of a rock and roll feel. 'Tango In The Night' was an awesome album, but it was very "pop"... so the harder edge of 'Behind The Mask' was very exciting at the time.

In hindsight, i wish the production had been a little brighter, and not so murky sounding... but that's only a minor quibble.

There are a lot of highlights to be found there, and a great number of songs stand up quite well next to Fleetwood Mac's more well-known songs.
"Save Me," "Freedom," and "In The Back Of My Mind," are my main favorites.
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with "Do You Know" though. Sometimes I can listen, and enjoy it on certain levels... but most times I just find it downright boring.
Conversely, I'm very fond of "The Second Time," and I think it made an excellent closer for the album... though I realize that it's not a favorite of very many people.
But I guess we can't all love *every* song.

Speaking of favorites....
Quote:
Originally posted by David "When the Sun" is probably the album's high point for me.
My Japanese students all liked it the best from Fleetwood Mac, oddly enough.
I remember the host of the Japanese show Sound Gig also citing "When The Sun Goes Down" as his favorite from the album.
It's interesting that it was this song in particular that they responded to.

Johnny Stew