Thread: Behind the mask
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2002, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Behind The Mask is a very good album.

At some points you get the feeling that they are losing the perspective, but you also get to hear more collaborations between members of the band (see the credits: Nicks/Vito, Vito/Burnette, McVie/Burnette) which is something we hadn't seen before and makes it insteresting.

Another good thing is that in almost every song you get the feeling that Fleetwood Mac at that point was a band with four very good singers. Stevie is heard amongst almost each and every track, and, taking "In The Back Of My Mind" as an example, I hear Billy's, Stevie's and Christine's voices singing lead, not all together necessarily. I suppose that feeling of collaboration was something that they never had (at this level at least) in the Rumours incarnation. Of course there is friendship and everything, but at this moment I think the band was confused enough with Lindsey's departure that these collaborations and "team spirit" were something naturally born, that makes the album get richer and richer. Of all of the four songwriters, only Christine shines, though, with all of her offerings ("Skies The Limit", "Save Me", "Behind The Mask" and "Do You Know") being fantastic high points. While Stevie gets applauses for "Affairs Of The Heart" and "The Second Time", I don't quite like "Freedom"... Rick is only 'allowed' to do three songs... his own "Stand On The Rock" which is pretty cool; the "Love Is Dangerous" collaboration with Stevie; and the "When The Sun Goes Down" collaboration with Billy. Mr.Burnette does a good job in his own "In The Back Of My Mind" (a very interesting track with weird sound effects) and in his collaboration with Christine ("Do You Know") and "Hard Feelings".

Overall, a good album, not the best from the band, but anyway something worth getting.

Song of the moment - In The Back Of My Mind