Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rock n' Roll Myths: Stevie Nicks' Unorthodox Drug Technique

While rock stars have long been known to engage in reckless and excessive behavior, every once in a while a story arises that is so out there and unbelievable that fans are left to wonder whether it is truth or simply shameless self-promotion.

Such is the case with our latest Rock n' Roll myth. As the story goes, songstress Stevie Nicks became so addicted to cocaine during the '70s and '80s that she developed a tolerance to it, creating a hole in her nasal passage in the process. As a result, the desperate singer was said to have given a roadie a straw, and instructions to blow the drug where the sun don't shine.

Sure, it sounds farfetched and pretty reprehensible, but could this tale of depravity have really taken place? Fleetwood Mac earned a reputation during those decades as heavy drug users, but would Nicks really have gone to such trouble? The sheer shock value of the story could just as easily be a rumor started by bitter fans or a jealous lover.

In an interview with British magazine Q, Nicks addressed the legend, categorically denying all the rumors. "You know, I heard that [myth] too... But of course that never, ever happened," the singer said. "That is an absurd statement. It's not true. Maybe that nasty rumor came from the fact that people knew I had such a big hole in my nose, which of course didn’t stop me from doing cocaine one little bit. The hole in my nose is this big (Nicks sizes up a large hole on her right nostril, slightly smaller than her eye). “I have very delicate tissue, so it ate away my nose. It’s so painful. I curse the day I ever did cocaine. Nothing really works right in my head now.”

While Nicks rejected the notion that she ever ingested cocaine in such a fashion, many fans and critics still believe the story is open for debate. After all, Fleetwood Mac's greatest success came with an album entitled Rumours, written while the band was undergoing a period of extreme tension and interpersonal upheaval. Secrets were made, and romantic entanglements ripped through the band. While the Stevie Nicks myth may just be a far-exaggerated twist on an actual event, we're curious to know what other dark secrets are lying in the Fleetwood Mac vault.

http://www.955klos.com/Article.asp?i...924&spid=28266