View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

fleetwood mac fans owe a great deal of love to bob welch. welch kept the mac afloat during the early 1970s, while success was elusive. he came in after peter green and jeremy spencer, two of the three main dudes of the band, left (green left for a solo career; spencer left to join the questionable Children of God.) i’m sure most mac fans probably can’t name any songs whatsoever on the three albums during welch’s era; though one welch song, later re-recorded, became a monster hit for welch as a solo artist (sentimental lady, a song that sounds more like a commercial, maybe selling some feminine hygiene product perhaps…)

anyway, welch went solo just before the mac hit it big. nicely, though, christine mcvie and mick fleetwood make appearances on his solo album french kiss, which includes the revamped sentimental lady as well as our song du jour, ebony eyes. he did quite well, had a few other minor hits, and then sort of fell off the radar. he continued to make music of course, including an experimental bop album, but he hasn’t yet achieved the same success as he had with french kiss.

ebony eyes is a sweet little rocker with a menacing guitar hook. i was about 12 when this came out, and it definitely screams seventh grade to me whenever i hear it. sure, seventh grade was a delightful year; i had a teacher who was prepared to dislike me intensely because my Middlebro gave him a run for his money three years prior. (oh, the fun of having to prove myself to a teacher who i believed in my infinite tween heart was an idiot. but this would be the first of many times when i would get one of Middlebro’s former teachers and they would either be pleasantly surprised at what a nice young lady and good student i was… or, in the case of chemistry and physics classes, the teachers were incredulous at how i was dumb as a post in the hard sciences, especially after following my smarty-pants brothers. sigh. it stinks being the youngest sometimes.)

anyway, when i wasn’t trying to be the best girl in the whole world for that teacher, i was one of the many, the proud young ladies getting attacked in the locker area. yes, this was a time when boys ran around snapping your bra as well as your rainbow suspenders, which were in vogue then.

yes, virginia, these suspenders were all the rage once.
i’m not certain my back ever recovered from it all.

so as you can see, ebony eyes gave me hope. it spoke to me: one day, i believed, i’d find men who were interested in more than just pawing at my clothes… men who will actually look at and in my eyes (once they weren’t obscured by humungous 1970s era glasses.) men who will like me just because i’m me.

let’s just say it took awhile.

http://www.wrekehavoc.com/index.php/...yes-bob-welch/