Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the person who wrote this thinks there are 4 members in FM

Why do the people who write these blogs always spell Lindsey with an "a?"

July 11th, 2010 by aussieboy63

I was at High School when Fleetwood Mac released their signature album Rumours, and I still get the same enjoyment now as I did all those many years ago. From the first song to the last constitutes 39 minutes of musical enjoyment, and I do not believe there is a weak song on the album. As we found at later it was put together in diabolical circumstances with strained relationships and constant creative differences. Despite that these four talented musicans and song-writers turned out one of the greatest albums that has ever been produced and that is not only my opinion, with many music historians glowingly referring to the perfection on this album.

The whole first side is full of hits, starting with the up-beat “Second Hand News” before going to the ballad “Dreams” which features those unique vocals of Steve Nicks and a great bass sound from John McVie. Nicks wrote this song and anyone, like me, who has followed her solo career, would quickly identify this as one of her tunes.

“Never Going Back Again” showing Lindsay Buckingham at his best on guitar was a more folksy sound, but then it is a real pop song next with Christine McVie’s “Don’t Stop”. This is real foot-tapping Fleetwood Mac at its best. Then “Go Your Own Way” continues the foot stomping with Mick Fleetwood getting into it on the drum. Great beat, great vocals, great tune.

The last song on side A is another Christine McVie effort, “Songbird” which is basically her voice with piano and some relaxed and subtle guitar work. Producer Ken Caillat feltthe song needed a concert hall’s ambience, and it was recorded during an all-night session at Zellerback Auditorium in Berkeley.

Side B starts with “The Chain” a powerful song written by all four members of the band. It features heavy bass and drum backgrounds with the haunting guitar work of Buckingham. It is almost anthemic in the way it is presented, and would not be out of place at an alternative music festival. Great song that could have been a single, but was never released.

“I Don’t Want To Know” and “Oh Daddy” keep the standard going, both being catchy tunes and then they are followed by the very haunting and soulful “Oh Daddy.” This was another Christine McVie song and I think I probably liked her songs on the album the best, perhaps because they had some appeal at the time. Sorry but too long ago to remember why?

The last song on the album “Gold Dust Woman” was written by Stevie Nicks and was another powerful ballad and again the great vocals of Nicks was backed up by the brilliant acoustic work of Buckingham on guitar.

So there you have it….Brilliant Album…… Brilliant Band………RUMOURS by FLEETWOOD MAC

http://aussieboy63.gorgeousboys.net/

Last edited by vivfox; 07-11-2010 at 05:31 PM..