View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BklynBlue
Fleetwood's probably the only drummer alive who would actually want to take credit (?) for "Rubber Duck" - I'd sue
LOL!! Can't argue with you though!

Quote:
here's another from out of left field - what was the thinking behind having the Bluesbreakers record without Mayall?
Was Decca looking for their own in-house "Cream" or "The Experience"? Who's idea was it? Vernon's? Green's?
could those songs: "Curly", "Rubber Duck", "Greeny" and "Missing You" have been the four song demo?
Could the offer Decca (supposedly) made to Green that he (supposedly) turned down be that they'd pay for sessions that he would lead, and that the product would be released under the Bluesbreakers name?
I've always been curious as to why those recordings were made and released -
Wow, that hadn't occured to me but it's an interesting theory. "Curly" and "Rubber Duck" in particular are so out of character for Bluesbreakers recordings and are so clearly going for Cream's style. Certainly seems possible that Decca looking for their own Cream and saw Peter, John, and Aynsley as their best opportunity. If that was the case, is it possible that these recordings were even done without Mayall's knowledge or approval and later released under the Bluesbreakers name when it was decided not to go ahead with the new trio? Maybe the trio was Aynsley's idea (looking for the spotlight) and that was part of the reason Mayall fired him? Wild speculation sure is fun

Mike Vernon is quoted in Bob Brunning's book in regard to the late-night sessions at Decca (presumably in August '67) saying "it was with those tapes that we managed to clinch the Blue Horizon distribution deal with CBS." But perhaps there had been an earlier and different demo presented to Decca?

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMacD
Take it for what it's worth, but according to Mick's book, Mayall gave Green studio time as a birthday gift.
I've read this account as well, but my impression was that this birthday gift studio time was just used for the "Fleetwood Mac" / "First Train Home" session with John and Mick. But it's possible those other tracks could have been recorded earlier from the gift studio time. After all, Peter's birthday had been in October so he would have had plenty of opportunity to use the studio time.

Last edited by sharksfan2000; 02-28-2004 at 08:14 PM..